Official Musical "200 Pounds Beauty" Thread

red4summer

gyul1.jpg

Our Goddess, Gyuri, will be making her musical debut with "200 Pounds Beauty". It was reported earlier in Newsbox.

A series of performances will begin in October with an Asia tour in Osaka, Seoul, China and Singapore.

KARA’s Gyuri cast for “200 Pounds Beauty” musical

gyul4.jpg

KARA’s leader Park Gyuri will be making her musical debut with “200 Pounds Beauty“!

Gyuri has been cast for the lead role of ‘Kang Han Byul’ and will be joining the cast this October in Osaka, Japan for an Asian tour. Fans in Korea will be able to see her in end November at the CJ Art Center.

For those unfamiliar with the plot, Gyuri will be playing an overweight woman who possesses amazing vocal talent. Due to her physical appearance, however, she is forced to hide herself and sing as a substitute for other prettier artists. Determined to live her own life, she goes under the knife to fix her entire body, and becomes ‘reborn’ as a beautiful new person.

KARA will also be releasing their fourth single album, “Go Go Summer“, on June 29th, so stay tuned!

[c] allkpop

gyul.png

Or visit the official site for more details.

gyul3.jpg

To recap: Gyuri singing Star (200 Pounds Beauty OST) on Shimshimtapa on 19th May 2011.

[c] GyuriDJ

Finalized Cast

Interviews and Photoshoots

gyul1.jpg

gyul2.jpg

gyul3.jpg

gyul2.jpg

gyul4.jpg

88497008.jpg

[c] qkdqkdxjwudy2

“200 Pound Beauty” musical announces finalized cast

gyul3.jpg

The secured cast for the musical remake of “200 Pound Beauty” has finally been announced this week.

The role of the cool-headed, charismatic producer ‘Han Sang Jun‘ has been appointed to actors Lee Jong Hyuk and Oh Man Suk; Supernova’s Sung Je will have a special performance for when the musical arrives in Osaka, Japan.

Meanwhile, the character of the previously overweight singer, Kang Han Byul/Jenny will be performed by singer Bada and KARA’s Park Gyuri.

Other cast members include CulTwo’s Kim Tae Kyun and musical actor Yang Jun Mo, who will be acting the role of the plastic surgeon, Lee Gong Hak, while Song Young Kyu and Im Hyung Jun will be acting as President Choi, a producer CEO who strictly prefers appearance over talent.

“200 Pounds Beauty” is a romantic comedy about an overweight lip-sync vocalist named Han Byul who owns an amazing vocal talent, but was always forced to hide herself behind the curtain due to her less-than-attractive physical appearance. After being humiliated in front of her true love, Han Byul decides to undergo head-to-toe plastic surgery in the hopes of standing on stage as a top singer.

The original musical was performed in 2008 with Bada playing as Han Byul, and it later won a total of four awards at the 3rd ‘The Musical Awards’ ceremony in 2009 for the “Best Musical Creativity Award”, “Best Actress” (Bada), “Best Director Award”, and “Best Stage Art Award” (Makeup designer Chae Song Hwa).

The producer stated, “For the scene where the previously obese Kang Han Byul transforms into the beautiful Jenny, we plan to show amazing theatrical art on stage with the help of artist Lee Eun Kyul. Designer Chae Song Hwa’s drama makeup will be more delicate and naturally upgraded to the extent where people will almost mistake Han Byul and Jenny as two different people.”

“200 Pound Beauty” will be kick-starting their Asia tour in October, beginning with performances in Osaka followed by performances in Seoul, China and Singapore.

[c] allkpop

TV Advertisement on 29th July 2011.

[c] SHOCHIKUch

First Press Conference in Japan on 29th July 2011.

gyul1o.jpggyul2.jpg

gyul2h.jpg

gyul2j.jpg

gyul1m.jpg

gyul1.jpg

gyul1s.jpg

gyul2.jpg

gyul3.jpg

[c] withkara7

The Osaka date is 8th October - 6th November 2011.

What does this mean? More than one performance in Osaka?

gyul1.jpg

updated on 12/8: the schedule

gyulh.jpg

korea press conference

korea schedule 1 korea schedule 2

• Like 1

^

thanks for the link! i wonder why was the question? lol.

i feel so happy for her, especially after all the fuss in the early part of 2011. (i can't forget the allegation thrown at her.)

besides the recognition and hard-to-come-by experience, the musical performance around the region has presented a golden opportunity for gyul to meet her followers and to reach out to more new worshippers.

36180329.jpg

i'm really exhausted but after watching this,

Untitled-1.gif

its like it all went away (no kidding)..

gyul is indeed my medicine.

love how supportive her goddess unnie(Bada) is!

Untitled-5.gif

not being pervie or stuff but really love how she dresses today..

more daring,elegant, mature, not sticking too much with cutie styles w/c is the trend nowadays!

Untitled-3.gif

Thank you for this new and well-needed thread. As I said in another thread, she looks absolutely Goddess-like. That question that the reporter asked was indeed funny and loves the way she responded to it (very professional) :) - ok, so, when is she the one performing and when would Bada do so? Anyone knows?

here's another news on the press conference.

@gel

thanks for the awesome gifs and translation. so that was the question which surprised even gyul. just love her reaction.

@sarah

like the original musical in 2008, bada will still play up the character kang han byul while gyul will appear as jenny when she returns after the surgery.

Supernova's Sungje and KARA's Gyuri prepare for 200 pounds beauty musical

yvrlx.jpg

ePbKf.jpg

2w5mE.jpg

Kang Hanbyeul, played by Gyuri, is a budding singer unable to make a debut in the industry due to her weight. Sungje will play her manager who eventually falls in love with the overweight artist.

[...]

Gyuri also mentioned that she has been traveling to Tokyo often, and has heard of a lot of amazing places and delicious foods from Osaka.

Such a perfect outfit and hairstyle for Gyuri. Why doesn't DSP ever dress her up this nicely for KARA's MV's? :gyc5:

@ red Thanks for making the thread. At first I wasn't sure if there was going to be enough materials to warrant a new thread on its own, but clearly there is.

@ Lorraine: I took notice of Gyuri's more...mature outfit as well :OCZgm: Maybe being in Japan means she can be a bit more adventurous with her wardrobe than in conservative South Korea. Thanks for the interview translation too. Her voice and demeanor was so delicate and shy compared to her usual self. Perhaps from being a little rusty with her Japanese, or trying to show a different side of herself?

KARAs Gyuri attends press conference for new musical, 200 Pounds Beauty

gyul1n.jpg

On July 29th, KARAs leader Gyuri (23) and her fellow actors/singers attended a press conference for their new musical Bijou wa Tsurai no (Being Beautiful Is Painful), also known as 200 Pounds Beauty. The musical is based off of Suzuki Yumikos manga, Kanna-san Daiseikou Desu!, and its also been turned into a popular Korean film as well.

The story is about a heavy set woman with an amazing voice, who secretly does the singing voice for a big pop star. With special make-up and a suit, Gyuri will be transformed into the 125kg (275 lb) singer. She commented, Im really looking forward to meeting the Japanese fans who have seen a different image of me up until now.

Choshinseis Sungje (24) will be playing opposite Gyuri as a music producer. We want to arrange everything perfectly so that all of the Japanese people can see a fantastic performance, he said.

The musical will be held in Osaka from October 8th to November 6th.

gyul2.jpg

[c] tokyohive

hmm? gyul to portrait the 200 pounds beauty? i can't imagine it coming.

gyul with all those heavy make-ups? lol, i still don't believe it.

news reporting on 30th july

[c] marchonsvite6

gyul0.jpg

A couple more stunning pictures of the 200 pounds beauty.

HQUY6.jpg

TiwiP.jpg

Heh, so I guess Gyuri will be donning a fat suit for the musical then? Reminds me of IU when she was in Dream High.

I am so excited for her!! Lucky for the fans that get to see her perform live.

Wait, so Gyuri's only performing in Osaka for the Asian tour? I know she's also performing at the CJ Art Center but is she also performing with the male actors?

^

i think gyul should be involved in all the performances.

it's a musical, an absentee of any main character will be a "disservice" by the organiser.

more tv news on the press conference.

[c] iam191004

[c] karamylover

34042966.jpg

Omo .... this thread is already post.... :thumbup1:

I've missed a lot of news about this...

thanks for all pic n video about gyuri in 200 pounds beauty press....

gyuri look so beautiful n gorgeous.... :eyelove: :eyelove:

looking forward for this...

^I don't think so. It think it brings more reputation and fans to KARA so I do think this is a good news for KARA overall and if we look right now, KARA is doing a LOT of promotional activities together and with their upcoming Korean come back, they'd be even more. I am not too concerned by that. I really hope that a (late?) fall Japanese-Korean tour is on the schedule, though... :whistling:

I made this screencap a couple days ago and good thing because it's gone now. The news article about Gyuri's musical was the feature article on the Oricon charts page

IrpAk.jpg

Edited by gyuriFTW